Friday, August 13, 2010

Red Days

Big J's school gives out Green, Yellow and Red days depending on how well the child behaves. This week started out good with a Green day on Monday, but then Tuesday came and Tuesday was a Yellow day. I could handle that, it is always for not listening and being disruptive during nap time which is typically the only reason she gets in trouble. Well then Wednesday happened and that was a RED day! This time for painting two of her friends and then refusing to stop when asked by the teacher. There was also some trouble (basically noise) during nap time and not listening again.

So Wednesday night and Thursday during drop off I had the "we need to get a Green day" discussion. See in our house two Red days, 2 Yellow days and 1 Red day or 3 Yellow days means that Big J (and everyone else in the house) loses the privilege of lounging on the living room floor and partaking in a movie, popcorn and candy on Friday night.

Thursday Pickup

I was dreading the walk down the hall

Was she Green, Yellow or Red today?

I did not have to wait long because I soon as I stepped in the door her friends ratted her out.
"Jillian's Mom, Jillian had a Red day!"

Darn... no movie night for us.... Sometimes is sucks punishing your kids!

So Thursday's Red day was again not listening, disturbing circle time, getting a time out and announcing to her teacher that she does not care if she gets Red days. Now what? Well there is only one more thing I can take away from her. So if there is a Red or Yellow day today our plans of attending a friends Wedding Celebration Party are ruined! How does this happen? How does teaching my 4 year old to behave and listen end up in a situation where my plans are ruined and I will be stuck home (ok stuck sounds bad, but I want to PARTY!) with the kids?

Now I am dreading pick up time and I know that they hallway will seem three times as long.

What do I do if there is a Red or Yellow check on that paper? If I back down and let her go am I teaching her that she can get away with it? Why oh why did I say that she could not go if she did not get a Green day? I know why because I was a wits end and it was the only good thing I could take away from her.

A little information from the past. The month before Little J was born we faced a month of Red and Yellow days. I think she received 1 Green day a week and that is all. We were at a loss on what to do. We were including her in the baby process and spending a ton of time with her, but still nothing. We were very lucky that once Little J was born the Red and Yellow days stopped. Until Now.........

I will keep you posted. Feel free to share any of your trouble stories!

3 comments:

  1. We had the same problem with my son when he was in kindergarten and 1st grade, with a few days of pushing or tripping. There was also the day he stabbed his friend in the back with a pair of blunt-nosed scissors. I despaired.

    It was a trial and error experience over the course of those two years in finding out what worked best as punishment. Just when we would find one that worked, two months later it would change again. Our best bet now is figuring out what he enjoys most and that being the first thing taken away. Gradual steps up never worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I remember having Red, Yellow, and Green days back when I was in elementary school, all those years ago! In 3rd grade for example, we had little envelopes taped to a wall that had a card with green and yellow on one side and red on the other. As we got warnings we had to go and "turn our cards." Funny how this is the most prominent thing I remember from 3rd grade!

    I found your blog through Bloggy Moms and am now following. Hope you'll do the same!

    Thank you!
    Kristina
    http://www.kristinawyatt.com/missmommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! This is what I have to look forward to. I see lots of red days in my future...

    ReplyDelete