Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kindergarten - Unofficial First Day



So the charter school that Big J is attending had what they call staggered entry for the kindergarten class. This means that they split the incoming kindergarteners into 4 groups and each group attends one day the week before school official starts. Big J's day was today so we were up at 6:30 and getting ready for (GULP) Kindergarten!!! Where oh where did the time go?? (The official first day is Monday the 22nd.)

I was good and although a little sad I did not cry. I know that this will be great for her and she will have a blast learning and being with her new friends. I guess I am only worried because she does not know anyone. Because we choose a charter school (which is not near our house), none of the children she attended daycare with will be going. Not that it really mattered because the three children she did play with the most in and out of daycare are not going to the local school anyway. Two are in other districts and one is going to a private school.  Although we are all having a BBQ this Sunday as a "kick-off" with a bunch of families from our old daycare.

I have to say this is all weird to me because I come from a small town where there was one chose of Elementary, Middle and High school and one only. If my parents wanted me to go to another school they would have had to drive me at least 30 minutes to get there. Needless to say that was not going to happen, not when they worked in our town!

I actually began looking at schools over a year ago and my husband thought I was crazy, but now he tells me how smart I was because I knew the deadlines way in advance and what needed to be done. Plus I got Big J a spot in the exact school we wanted, which seems like a great fit for her.

I am so excited for my baby (big) girl and am actually counting the minutes to go and pick her up from her first day of Kindergarten!! I will post later to let you all know how everything went.


Does anyone else have children, a child that is starting Kindergarten or has started already? If your children have been going to school for awhile do you have any traditions you would like to share? I am looking for something special to do on the first day and last day of school every year.


Waiting for Mommy to do her hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment